The Organic Bakies Story
Wendi with her mom at an Earth Day Food Festival
On January 2, 2008, I was talking with a dear friend about life and what we would do if we weren't in the corporate world. She said she would do scrapbooking, and I said I would bake. Well, we challenged each other and said this is the year of the "anti-ninny"! We needed to go out and push ourselves to do those things we'd been afraid to do in the past - to honor our dreams and really try to achieve them. As new mothers, her of a less than one month old, and me, of an 8 month old, our vow had the potential to be a lot of talk with no results. But I knew that I couldn't teach my child about living her dreams if I wasn't trying to live my dream of making the planet a little sweeter. Hypocrites aren't usually positive role models!
So, after doing research on line and in my kitchen, Organic Bakies, LLC, was born. "Organic" because I believe that we only have one earth and one chance to leave the world a better place than we found it. I now have two children and want them to breathe clean air, visit National Parks and enjoy the amazing natural wonders of our beautiful planet. "Bakies" because the products include cookies, but are baked not cooked! The name was the brilliant idea of my supportive and loving husband who batted around a baker's dozen of names with me until he said this one!
Organic Bakies was created in 2008 to provide delicious baked goods made with organic and local ingredients.
1) Create healthier desserts and baked goods by using organic and local ingredients.
2) Use packaging that is environmentally responsible and sustainable.
3) Give back to the community in meaningful and tangible ways.
Our Results - How do we meet those goals?
1) We make delectable baked goods without using anything artificial - colors, flavors or anything else! We love to support our local farmers and use their products whenever feasible.
2) The packaging for our products (boxes, paper shreds, raffia ties, and even the bags) is biodegradable and compostable and designed to create a flower garden.
3) Since 2008, we have donated to various local and global causes. Some of our donations include the Nature Conservancy, Heifer International, the Red Cross (for Haiti), the Durham Symphony, and the American Asthma Foundation.
My company creates products that taste better than other baked goods you've tried. They are better for the environment because I use certified organic, fair trade and local ingredients, and they are better for you because they have no artificial ingredients.
I hope you'll enjoy eating Organic Bakies as much as I enjoy making them!
- Wendi Lester
Owner, Organic Bakies, LLC
© copyright 2008-2011 | organic bakies | all rights reserved